Beyond improving juvenile justice and tackling the challenges the formal justice system faces with prosecuting sexual and gender-based violence, Horizon has also focused on criminal justice practices as a whole, from training prosecutors on the legalities on evidence to how to treat victims of violence as they go through justice system.
Our work includes:
- Training on the Law of Evidence to three groups of Deputy Attorney Generals
- Organising a justice sector retreat
- Conducting juvenile and SGBV case reviews in Hargeisa, Boorama and Burao
- Training on case analysis to 27 prosecutors and Deputy Attorney Generals from Hargeisa and Somaliland's regions
- Judge Craft Training for new judges
- Research on the public perceptions of police
Judge Craft TrainingIn March and April 2015, Horizon's Somaliland Justice Sector Project delivered a two week judicial training to 24 newly appointed judges - the first generation of legally qualified judges in...
Case Analysis TrainingHorizon trained 27 prosecutors and Deputy Attorney Generals from Hargeisa and other regions over a period of three days. The training focused on identifying and charging the relevant offences, identifying...
Workshop on Penal ReformAs part of our commitment of supporting Somaliland's progress towards establishing strong democratic institutions, law reform, including that of the Penal Code, is critical. In association with the Somaliland Law...